Techniques of This Section
|1. Diversion||2. Disproving a Minor Point||3. Ad Hominem||4. Appeal to Ignorance|
|5. Leading Question||6. Complex Question||7. Inconsequent Argument||8. Attacking a Straw Man|
|9. Victory by Definition||10. Begging the Question|
- Jones: “I believe that the inmates of our prisons should learn democracy while in confinement and that to this end there should be some form of prisoner self-government.” (Jones then states his reasons.)
Smith: “Let us now consider my opponent’s argument. He is saying that hardened criminals can be made perfect overnight.”
- Mrs. Felton is President of the PTA and you want me to believe her arguments for giving the PTA a large share in running the school? She’s the last one I would believe.
- I have proposed that the university go on record as opposing the war in Vietnam and in all your talking I have yet to hear from you any reason at all why the university shouldn’t do so.
- Teel: “These students seem to have some school spirit.”
Beel: “Ah, yes, but when I said that students today don’t have any school spirit I was talking about genuine students, not these rah-rah boys.”
- Should peace abroad and prosperity at home be kept in the proven hands of the President-or should it be turned over to the extremists and hip shooters?
- Mom to Son: “I can’t believe it. You’re late again. Can’t you ever get home on time? Dinner’s cold already.”
Son to Mom: “But I was hurrying. I met Mrs. Bump. She is expecting her fifth child.”
Mom to Son: “No, no. Mrs. Bump already has five kids. Is she pregnant again?”
- What comforts at once when a child has a cold? What helps open her nose, soothe her throat or congestion fast? And what helps her breathe easy for eight hours? What do those who use Vicks Vapo-Rub say gives them relief? There’s only one answer; you know what it is.
- “Why is it so cold outdoors, Mommy?”
“Because it’s wintertime, Jimmy.”
“I know; but why is it wintertime?”
“Because it’s too cold to be anything else.”
- Accused of sending troops into Afghanistan, the Russian government replied, “We always help underdeveloped countries. We’ve sent food, machinery, and trained engineers into Afghanistan for years.”
- Smith: “International test results show that the United States is falling behind countries like Japan, West Germany, and Russia in math and science education.”
Jones: “Professor Gallagher has shown that the figures for Russia can’t be trusted. The United States isn’t doing so badly after all.”